This week's theme was strength in transition, particularly apt for me as I wait to see if the School Budget will pass on Town Meeting Day March 2. Although I am budgeted in at four days, the town cannot support a higher tax rate (not due to the School Budget, BTW) and there are grumblings and mumblings all around. The waiting is hard but it gives me time to explore other things, not that I have alot of time especially with BGT! coming up, the spring concert, Memorial Day festivities, and graduation to prepare for. The third grade is also having a Mom Day (all their own idea), so I am pretty busy. Still, in the depths of the night I wake up and wonder what the future will hold.
The poses we worked on were actually transition poses; connecting one pose with another; maintaining balance and stability while getting to another place. They were exactly like conjunctions we use in sentences, the ones we tend to gloss right over and put no stress or importance on. (Trying to teach singers to properly pronounce these words is quite hard actually, as it is so ingrained.)
Some years ago, I remember coming home from what was then Yugoslavia where I had spent a period of time on an island called Punat in the middle of the Adriatic. Nobody spoke English or any of the other languages I could get by with. I was forced to learn basic srpskohrvatsky to communicate. It was very rudimentary and present tense only, but I moved along enough so I could think in it as well.
Coming home on the plane I could not understand other speakers as I did not know where one word stopped and another began. It was one of the strangest experiences I have ever had because they were speaking American English!!
So this week I will try to be aware of my conjunctions, passing poses, and allow myself to feel the not-always-comfortable-emotions transitions always bring up. Kind of like being in the place of my students who had never been to music festival before!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment